Things I’ve said out loud that I would never (like, never) do

  1. Get married: did it, it was great, highly recommend. 
  2. Have a child: give it a transition period, then…would highly recommend. 
  3. Have a second child: well wouldn’t you know it's ... great. Recommend! 
  4. Stay in the same job for a long time: I took a lot of contracts in my early years, feeling very unsettled and bored with every job. Then I found a family at work and stayed there more than a decade. Would recommend. 
  5. Wear Birkenstocks: I mocked people who wore them and clearly remember saying to my bestie, if you see me wearing these, you will know that I have given up all of my dignity and I need an intervention. These days it’s all day erry day I’m wearing these uber comfortable footwear unashamedly (with my active wear… gasp). 
  6. Not stay in regular contact with my long term friends: Nope, turns out sometimes people grow and change and move or, just get busy livin' and it’s a little uncomfortable (or not even) and it’s totally fine. Who knew. 
  7. Have a family that don’t speak to each other: ‘I can’t imagine how we would have a falling out and would’t speak’ the way other families do. Well, when you’re being a bit too smug, the universe will provide you with a timely lesson. Thank you madam. Also, if you do the healing you should have been doing (like well before then), it’s actually not too bad. Would almost recommend. 
  8. Have a falling out with a neighbour (or anyone) and not feel distressed about it: Sometimes having a falling out with people that aren’t your people is bloody freeing. Caveat is that you can’t carry any residual negative feelings towards them… equanimity all the way sister! Could not recommend this enough. 
  9. Be a regular mum (ie. not a cool mum): Turns out I’m a pretty regular, run-of-the-mill, get’s frustrated, isn’t always zen, isn’t always fun, makes up rules as I go, regular old mum who wears Birkenstocks and grubby shirts with a half made-up face and oily hair. Would sorta recommend. I guess. Insert shrugged shoulders here. 
  10. Travel around Australia in a caravan: Guys, I’m almost certainly gonna do this one day. Why did I even think this was so uncool? Australia is cool. Have some respect. 
  11. Do a phd: I swore that I would never, ever, ever do a phd. And here I am, lying over here, seriously considering it. Just for the learning experience. Honestly WTAF. Who knew I was such a bloody geek (um, literally everyone who knows you Jacinta). 
  12. Give up surf time to hang out with children: Did it, do it, continues to happen. Very not cool how much I prioritise these needy little beings. Like, I need a break from them and 5 mins later I miss them, looking at photos of them. It’s sick. Not sure how much I would recommend. But the truth is the truth and I’ve surprised even myself with my own bullshit. 


The end (but probably not, because more lies to come from me). It's humbling being a reformed(ing) righteous human. 


Popular Posts